Comprehensive Obsolescence Management Process for Safran Electrical & Power
The Client and Project
Safran Electrical & Power
Comprehensive Obsolescence Management Process
Based in Buckinghamshire, the Safran Electrical & Power In-Service Support team faces the challenge of ensuring that their commercial and military aerospace end users’ equipment remains available and supportable throughout the life of the asset. Previously they had used a web-based component availability tool which didn’t provide coverage for all the components within their Bills of Material (BoM). Whilst this approach was sufficient for tracking electronic components, the limited coverage left the rest of their equipments at risk. Consequently, the Company identified the need for a third party to provide a more comprehensive service that would cover all of their Obsolescence Management needs, thus enabling them to provide detailed obsolescence management information both to their internal stakeholders and the aircraft manufacturers at all stages of the aircraft lifecycle.
Safran Electrical & Power understood that the development and execution of a bespoke obsolescence process would entail significant planning and resources. They also realized that the knowledge required to both monitor and report the obsolescence information did not exist within their organization. Therefore, working with their management, CMCA (UK) created a project team to gather all BoM data at the client’s site over a period of several months. This source data was subsequently cleansed and fed into our in-house COMPaSS tool, allowing CMCA (UK) to build up the equipment structure, gather component availability information and provide regular availability reports for each of their product lines.
There are numerous tangible benefits to Safran Electrical & Power following their decision to engage with CMCA (UK) to provide specialist Obsolescence Management support across their products portfolio;
- Our Obsolescence Management services are agile, responsive, effective and competitively priced, thus helping them to achieve the best supportability at the optimum cost.
- Safran Electrical & Power receives regular outputs from COMPaSS detailing the current availability status of components across their BoM. Consequently, their risk of exposure to obsolescence across the supply chain is more clearly understood.
- Increased end-user confidence in Safran Electrical & Power’s ability to manage obsolescence in a timely and effective manner.
At the strategic level, the Obsolescence Management project is helping to deliver added value and better insight to the Safran Electrical & Power equipment end users. Within their organization and across their customer programs, it has been acknowledged that CMCA (UK)’s Obsolescence Management expertise has a positive effect during the initial design selection and across the product lifecycle.
Why choose CMCA(UK)?
Clients choose CMCA (UK) for many reasons, the most compelling of which are:
- We are a company that specializes in Obsolescence Management, Procurement and Long Term Storage solutions. It is our business to provide cost-effective, knowledgeable advice to our clients: after all, our excellent reputation depends on it.
- When it comes to Obsolescence Management, we pride ourselves on being innovative and progressive in our quest to develop practical, bespoke solutions.
- The client has access to market-leading strategic and tactical Obsolescence Management advice. This allows their In-Service Support team to focus its attention on the plethora of other engineering challenges, safe in the knowledge that obsolescence is being managed by the experts.